TT1 Forum
Even if you're a guest in tribal trouble, you don't have to be one here! Register now!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TT1 Forum
Even if you're a guest in tribal trouble, you don't have to be one here! Register now!
TT1 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Tribal trouble

+11
Boggyno
DillaKilla
langile
Foxx
Whiski
D e a t h y
Dapianokid
ryman230
EPIC_FAIL
KABOOM
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Tribal trouble  Empty New Tribal trouble

Post by KABOOM Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:00 pm

hello guys!

maybe the idea is absolutely bullshit. How it would be to create a new Tribal Trouble!?...  I don't know something about programming, and my english is not the best!
I only hope that someone of you knows something about creating games or interested to learn it.

im just a artist, but tribal trouble have potential and with the right power we can bring life into the old game...

Embarassed i know it sounds crazy. but maybe it could work...
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

New Tribal trouble  Empty Re: New Tribal trouble

Post by 007 Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:35 pm

good idea Twisted Evil 
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 pm

I have actually had some serious considerations about learning Java thoroughly and attempting to resurrect the game manually, possibly if that even means creating a close-to-perfect copy of it. Sune has expressed his skepticism about being able to use the current code of the game, but to be honest I wouldn't even mind just having the current version working, but he's unconvinced:
New Tribal trouble  Death10
I have two years off now that school is finished, and I'm prepared to commit some serious time into this project. I'm not good with artsy stuff, so it may be awesome that you could help out with this KABOOM, as well as anyone else who could have skills to offer in Java, Blender (or any other 3D modelling software), or pretty much any coding experience could also get on board!
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 am

i had not worked with a 3D program right now. But i think, i can learn it.
The other problem is, that i didn't owned the right software.
If you know something (for mac) I will help you!
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:00 am

KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:03 am

some of my draws.
i have adobe Illustrator, photoshop and flash, but i don't think it will help by creating a game.
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ryman230 Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:10 am

I've been attempting projects to enhance my knowledge of 3D modeling using blender! I could give it a shot.

ryman230
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:26 am

(i cant sent links!)   kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

This side will maybe help us to realize the project!
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:45 am

That painting is actually awesome! I'd imagine there's going to be components from just about every area of design including Photoshop/Flash/Illustrator, so don't rule out your skills as a digital artist just yet. Even concept art for potentially new characters will be great... but that's all in the far future.

ryman if you could help out too that would be great. I just started my Java career today over at http://codecademy.com/, if any of you are interested maybe we could start learning together.

KABOOM wrote:(i cant sent links!) kickstarter.com/hello?ref=nav

This side will maybe help us to realize the project!
I'd hate to be a downer here, but I don't think kickstarter will help us this time. We're looking to revive a dead game, something which nobody else would be very interested in who hasn't already played. It's a good idea, but unfortunately is only good for 'new' projects that could generate lots of public interest. Besides, I'm willing to do this for free Rolling Eyes 
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:08 am

yes thats right, we made it for free!
Will it be a new game with the old TT1 Idea or absolutely the same?
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:45 am

I don't know. I think ideally it would be a reboot of the old code that's already been made by Oddlabs, but I don't think Sune will be too enthusiastic about that.

I would even kill just for a LAN capable version.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by KABOOM Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:48 pm

if we would really do this, we should make a good plan!
everyone who like the idea from a tribal trouble remake and who is ready to help us post a message with ay! yes! Yeah! or what ever!
Just to make sure how many we are!

i make the start! YES!
KABOOM
KABOOM
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ryman230 Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Yes yes and a billion yes's for me

I went to the website, checked around, and i might look into jquery and javascript for both of them resemble my interest, animation and basic game design concepts

ryman230
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:02 pm

I just hope yiou understand how complicated this is going to be. I'm here to help any way I can! I program, though I don't know Java very well.
Basically, what's old is the way the code works. Nobody who wrote the code is accessible or remembers what did what and how. Some parts may be salvagable, but the basic concept of the whole workings of the game and server are irrecoverable. This is still possible though and PLEASE go for it. Ask for the old code!
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ryman230 Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:06 pm

Does oddlabs have any form of contact other than email? I haven't been able to look on the website for some reason. I know its going to be complicated and with 1st semester exams coming up, i wont have much time to study, perhaps over christmas break ill have more time

Edit: This truly is complicated...at the moment i'm starting out with HTML and web designing but later on ill get to what i want to understand, for now i'll continue trying to understand this

Last edited by ryman230 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More thoughts)

ryman230
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Dapianokid wrote:I just hope yiou understand how complicated this is going to be. I'm here to help any way I can! I program, though I don't know Java very well.
Basically, what's old is the way the code works. Nobody who wrote the code is accessible or remembers what did what and how. Some parts may be salvagable, but the basic concept of the whole workings of the game and server are irrecoverable. This is still possible though and PLEASE go for it. Ask for the old code!
Yes I know this is going to be a monstrous, most likely unachievable goal, but I actually have about 18 months of not doing anything (school's done) which I am willing to dedicate to this. I'll send him an email now to ask for the old code.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by ryman230 Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 pm

If you can get the code and eagle can obtain the rights to the game! I will devote any spare time to aiding anyone in this project until it is complete

ryman230
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:18 pm

I don't think Sune's going to fully hand over the rights to the game, but I just sent him an email begging for any salvageable material we can work with. He's already mentioned to me that Oddlabs went out with some substantial debt from both games, so purchasing the rights of TT for a commercial-based re-release would be a venture none of us could even collectively afford. However considering the game is officially gone for good now, I don't think he should mind too much about releasing some of the old code in an open-source fashion for just us vets to fool around with. If we could collectively fund (or I could do it myself, I don't mind) a small private server for Tribal Trouble with slots for about 10-20 people at a time we could potentially keep playing for years. I don't really mind the game in its current version, I just want to keep playing.

Here's a copy of the email I sent to Sune:

epic_fail wrote:Hi Sune,

It pains to me see that this day has finally come. I'd just like to thank you for keeping the server alive for as many years as you did, and for all of the fun you've provided me with over that time. I probably won't come across a game that captured me like Tribal Trouble did ever again, but at least I can know that my thousands of hours spent on it were some of the best of my life.

I know you're probably sick of hearing this by now, but honestly if there is any way I could continue the legacy of this game I am 100% willing to help out. I'm even starting to learn Java which I'm planning on committing the next year and a half to learning it full-time while I am no longer in school, so maybe I can one day resurrect this game. I know it may seem like a long-shot, but you have honestly inspired me to do so. There has been some interest generated on the remaining forum from some of the old players collaborating towards a project like this, because we really do love this game.

You have previously mentioned that the current code is out-dated and essentially impossible/impractical to work with. Would you mind if I were still able to have access to some of the source files just to see what can be done (and see the genius that went into the making of this game!), even if it means bootlegging a LAN-capable version... which speaking of, has a LAN-capable version ever existed? If so, would I be able to have a copy of it (even if it's a very old version)?

If we do have to try and pick up the shattered pieces of a game which its time has gone then so be it. Literally anything you could provide me with whether it be your article on terrain-generation, old game files and versions, concept art, blender files and other 3D models, ANYTHING would be appreciated. I'm not looking to commercially use any of them or try to rival with what Oddlabs was in any way, but seeing as the game is offline permanently and Oddlabs is no longer a company, I don't see what the point in wasting all of that potentially salvageable code is. I understand that the language is now archaic and wouldn't be compatible with today's standards of coding, but I'm not looking for a re-release here or an updatable version or anything like that, I just want my Tribal Trouble back!

Additionally if there was a simpler solution such as hosting a small dedicated server for the game (I would be willing to fund this completely) I would also be very interested in a solution of that nature. Please consider this, we're desperate. I know Oddlabs has gone through some rough times over the past couple of years, but now that the game is truly no more I am looking for last-change alternatives here. I know a full-scale reboot of TT is impossible at this stage, but I just can't let a game that I love this much die like this. Even if there was a server where four or five of my friends could play from time to time could be arranged, I would be completely on board with organizing that.

Otherwise I'd just like to thank you for all of the fun and memories you guys have provided me with over the years, and I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors.

Regards
Julian
I sent it to all 3 of his remaining email addresses I know of (I don't even know if any emails with the domain @oddlabs.com even exist anymore, so I tried his Gmail too), so hopefully we should get a response soon!
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by 007 Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 pm

THANK YOU FOR THAT:D 
Rock Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:51 am

We love you Sune and ABOLISH!!!!
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by D e a t h y Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:41 pm

what was his answer :O

D e a t h y
Iron Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:03 am

It was all a false alarm. The server is very old and unstable now, and apparently frequently goes down. This was the first time it didn't automatically restart itself, so we just kind of got ahead of ourselves and assumed the worse. All good now though Laughing
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiski Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:32 am

I fuckin love this game a would love to have a 'renaissance' for it. I'm going to college in September and should be learning some java and C++, so unfortunately i cant help just yet but i am willing to participate in anyway possible Smile
Whiski
Whiski
Iron Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Foxx Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am

Whiski arent you quite young? how you going to college?

Foxx
Iron Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Whiski Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm 16, i also live in the UK. In the Uk college starts at 16 and ends at around 18. But that is only if u get C or above in Maths and English. It's very different to the US haha
Whiski
Whiski
Iron Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next