TT1 Forum
Even if you're a guest in tribal trouble, you don't have to be one here! Register now!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

TT1 Forum
Even if you're a guest in tribal trouble, you don't have to be one here! Register now!
TT1 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BAN BOOSTERS

+8
.:firefoot:.
CallOfDuty
fudge
Vodka
Spice
ReallyOldPlayer
Aztec
Mr. Dyson
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

BAN BOOSTERS - Page 2 Empty Re: BAN BOOSTERS

Post by m@tro Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 pm

Aztec wrote:If you only have 1-3 quarters, you can still get armies as fast as if you had 4 quarters if you just leave some peons in the quarters. And know when to take them out etc
Oh.
m@tro
m@tro
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by glow Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

which is how i am such a boss at 2 q Very Happy Razz bounce
glow
glow
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 am

I know this is digging up a seriously old topic, but I'm fairly sure that mambo never boosted. On the old forums I compiled a list of the (current for back then) league with boosters sorted from non-boosters after meticulously going through their games and it was about 70% boosters. Here's the link to the old post: http://oddlabs.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3144

If you were to ban all boosters we'd have quite an empty forum I would think Wink(even looking over that list I made I'm pretty sure I've missed a couple of people who have since been confirmed as boosters, such as deadpker, deadeye, and mangaroo).

I never actually got the opportunity to play mambo, as he stopped playing before I even started, but I think the thing that got him his ridiculous rating was that he was significantly better than most people at the time (there were some other pros kicking around such as leaf/SILENCER, but then again at one point he had 4 accounts in the league as well) and could easily rack up rating from winning 3v1s and 2v1s. Those old pros were quite good as well, their strategies were just a bit 'old-school' compared to some of the radical ones that are out there now. I'd still say hands down that leaf is the best builder I have ever seen due to his ridiculous micromanaging skills... if those guys still played today they'd be frighteningly good.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by glow Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:59 am

EPIC_FAIL wrote:I know this is digging up a seriously old topic, but I'm fairly sure that mambo never boosted. On the old forums I compiled a list of the (current for back then) league with boosters sorted from non-boosters after meticulously going through their games and it was about 70% boosters. Here's the link to the old post: http://oddlabs.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3144

If you were to ban all boosters we'd have quite an empty forum I would think Wink(even looking over that list I made I'm pretty sure I've missed a couple of people who have since been confirmed as boosters, such as deadpker, deadeye, and mangaroo).

I never actually got the opportunity to play mambo, as he stopped playing before I even started, but I think the thing that got him his ridiculous rating was that he was significantly better than most people at the time (there were some other pros kicking around such as leaf/SILENCER, but then again at one point he had 4 accounts in the league as well) and could easily rack up rating from winning 3v1s and 2v1s. Those old pros were quite good as well, their strategies were just a bit 'old-school' compared to some of the radical ones that are out there now. I'd still say hands down that leaf is the best builder I have ever seen due to his ridiculous micromanaging skills... if those guys still played today they'd be frighteningly good.
I believe that the pros of the past were far better than the ones of the future. To be honest right now anybody who really gets on I will win against and because of that I will do things to make it harder for myself, usually it means 2 q. I believe that the overall skill level of the pros significantly went down when most of them left. For the most part after 2009 they were all gone. That was the time in which I went up a lot on the standings. I don't believe it was because I had gotten really good but instead the overall skill level had gone down to where my skill was even closer to the top. I initially got into pro status because of slowlearner and from there through many losses I had to learn to get better. Me and epic used to go back and forth. We were both on the bottom of the pro pyramid so we fought a lot because our skill levels were basically the same.

I know mambo never boosted. I also know like you said like 70% of the league is boosted. Some people came into the game thinking rating was everything. Since the league is so full of boosters i figure there is no point in being in it since people will then call me a booster. So why waste my time to get in if it jus ruins my reputation. The league doesn't even show who is the best or not. It really just shows who has the most connections in order to boost.

Hey epic did you ever finish your TT guide?
glow
glow
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tro Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:06 pm

I wanna start playing again but 3 things are stopping me.
1) Me losing constantly.
2) Lag. A shit tone of lag.
3) No-ones ever on.
m@tro
m@tro
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:48 pm

Those things shouldn't stop you Matro.
Anyways, I think that the first players, esp the first pros, were better than anybody ever could or would be again because of the way they approached the game. They were just BOSS at it. I am trying to think of the game differently like they did. I have played for a LONG time, since the third night of the debut of the game, and played a large majority of the greatest players ever. They weren't about speed or skill, they were really about stratagy and battle. Sure, we practice to get faster components of the game, but they saw the game as a whole.
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

soulmate wrote:
EPIC_FAIL wrote:I know this is digging up a seriously old topic, but I'm fairly sure that mambo never boosted. On the old forums I compiled a list of the (current for back then) league with boosters sorted from non-boosters after meticulously going through their games and it was about 70% boosters. Here's the link to the old post: http://oddlabs.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3144

I believe that the pros of the past were far better than the ones of the future.  To be honest right now anybody who really gets on I will win against and because of that I will do things to make it harder for myself, usually it means 2 q.  I believe that the overall skill level of the pros significantly went down when most of them left.  For the most part after 2009 they were all gone.  That was the time in which I went up a lot on the standings.  I don't believe it was because I had gotten really good but instead the overall skill level had gone down to where my skill was even closer to the top.  I initially got into pro status because of slowlearner and from there through many losses I had to learn to get better.  Me and epic used to go back and forth.  We were both on the bottom of the pro pyramid so we fought a lot because our skill levels were basically the same.  

I know mambo never boosted.  I also know like you said like 70% of the league is boosted.  Some people came into the game thinking rating was everything.  Since the league is so full of boosters i figure there is no point in being in it since people will then call me a booster.  So why waste my time to get in if it jus ruins my reputation.  The league doesn't even show who is the best or not.  It really just shows who has the most connections in order to boost.  

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the quality of players declining sharply around the 2009 stage. That's when the legends of the game really started to leave once and for all (Beckerr, Hottsauce, leaf, etc). For a while, like you, I was in the top three (maybe even the best for a few months) when I first made the ABOLISH account just because I was the only decent player left... so making an account and getting to 30-0 wasn't uncommon for that time. But after that was the 'second era' of pros when we saw Deathy, N/A, you, slowlearner, and the likes start to get a competitive playerbase going again. It's a shame that that was about the time I left the game due to my broken computer, those times were probably the most fun I've had playing tribal trouble Very Happy 

I would try getting back into it now, but I honestly just don't think it's worth it anymore. I've been in correspondence with Sune a bit recently and he said that he was going to dissolve Oddlabs as a company pretty soon and it may just be the death of TT as we know it (like we haven't seemingly already gone through that a few times...). Same goes for finishing the guide. I sunk a lot of hours into that thing, and I was very pleased with the results I got and the feedback, but finishing it would still be a monumental task for a dead game.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:58 pm

EPIC_FAIL wrote:
soulmate wrote:

I believe that the pros of the past were far better than the ones of the future.  To be honest right now anybody who really gets on I will win against and because of that I will do things to make it harder for myself, usually it means 2 q.  I believe that the overall skill level of the pros significantly went down when most of them left.  For the most part after 2009 they were all gone.  That was the time in which I went up a lot on the standings.  I don't believe it was because I had gotten really good but instead the overall skill level had gone down to where my skill was even closer to the top.  I initially got into pro status because of slowlearner and from there through many losses I had to learn to get better.  Me and epic used to go back and forth.  We were both on the bottom of the pro pyramid so we fought a lot because our skill levels were basically the same.  

I know mambo never boosted.  I also know like you said like 70% of the league is boosted.  Some people came into the game thinking rating was everything.  Since the league is so full of boosters i figure there is no point in being in it since people will then call me a booster.  So why waste my time to get in if it jus ruins my reputation.  The league doesn't even show who is the best or not.  It really just shows who has the most connections in order to boost.  

Yeah, definitely agree with you on the quality of players declining sharply around the 2009 stage. That's when the legends of the game really started to leave once and for all (Beckerr, Hottsauce, leaf, etc). For a while, like you, I was in the top three (maybe even the best for a few months) when I first made the ABOLISH account just because I was the only decent player left... so making an account and getting to 30-0 wasn't uncommon for that time. But after that was the 'second era' of pros when we saw Deathy, N/A, you, slowlearner, and the likes start to get a competitive playerbase going again. It's a shame that that was about the time I left the game due to my broken computer, those times were probably the most fun I've had playing tribal trouble Very Happy 

I would try getting back into it now, but I honestly just don't think it's worth it anymore. I've been in correspondence with Sune a bit recently and he said that he was going to dissolve Oddlabs as a company pretty soon and it may just be the death of TT as we know it (like we haven't seemingly already gone through that a few times...). Same goes for finishing the guide. I sunk a lot of hours into that thing, and I was very pleased with the results I got and the feedback, but finishing it would still be a monumental task for a dead game.
EPIC, PLEASE don't stop. I think that we should try to give it at LEAST one more go and remind people that this old hag hasn't stopped kicking yet. I'm a third gen pro but first gen player. I have watched this game evolve before my eyes in disbelief and I've grown up with it. I think that giving up one at a time has been the cause of the death of this game. Esp when a whole gen of pros leaves at once, everybody is reduced to unorganized noobishness and need herding and before long it becomes unfn because there is no unstoppable force to try to compare to. The whole concept of the game was to get better to beat the ones who beat you. Without ones who beat you, though, the game becomes unfun. So you have to find a balance.
PLEASE don't stop on the guide, and let Sune know we still care, and play again. I'm about to get on in about an hour or so.
I don't want this to end Sad
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:00 pm

Dapianokid wrote:Those things shouldn't stop you Matro.
Anyways, I think that the first players, esp the first pros, were better than anybody ever could or would be again because of the way they approached the game. They were just BOSS at it. I am trying to think of the game differently like they did. I have played for a LONG time, since the third night of the debut of the game, and played a large majority of the greatest players ever. They weren't about speed or skill, they were really about stratagy and battle. Sure, we practice to get faster components of the game, but they saw the game as a whole.
I started playing in early '08, and never really appreciated the caliber of some of the 'first pros' until the first time I played leaf. By then I was already a fairly established player, not top 10 material but I had racked up a few hundred wins on EPIC_FAIL and OMGWOW. Then I played leaf and my understanding of the game completely changed. When he taught me the concept of 'superbuilding' (basically automatically pathfinding your peons to trees through tricky micromanaging) I realized how much more potential TT has as an in-depth strategy RTS outside of its 'bare-bones' roots (and thankfully without all of the knowledge required of a game like Starcraft).
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:03 pm

EPIC_FAIL wrote:
I started playing in early '08, and never really appreciated the caliber of some of the 'first pros' until the first time I played leaf. By then I was already a fairly established player, not top 10 material but I had racked up a few hundred wins on EPIC_FAIL and OMGWOW. Then I played leaf and my understanding of the game completely changed. When he taught me the concept of 'superbuilding' (basically automatically pathfinding your peons to trees through tricky micromanaging) I realized how much more potential TT has as an in-depth strategy RTS outside of its 'bare-bones' roots (and thankfully without all of the knowledge required of a game like Starcraft).
EXACTLY! I became a top-3 pro for a few months last year. I've never been super good until then. I think it had to do with the huge loss of people but then when a bunch of pros came back I was still fairly decent (pretty dominant, in some cases)... But I played players like leaf and mambo and discovered some techniques I didn't come to understand until wayy later. I was never really taught by anyone. I have picked up a lot, though. And battle strats and techniques are all part of the game and we all learn and get better. It's just amazing how good the oldest players were. Not from experience, but because they took the game apart and learned super good skill from every level and angle. Even using glitches to their advantages. They treated it like RTS games from way back when and understood how much was possible. They were geniuses.
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:08 pm

Dapianokid wrote:
EPIC_FAIL wrote:
soulmate wrote:

EPIC, PLEASE don't stop. I think that we should try to give it at LEAST one more go and remind people that this old hag hasn't stopped kicking yet. I'm a third gen pro but first gen player. I have watched this game evolve before my eyes in disbelief and I've grown up with it. I think that giving up one at a time has been the cause of the death of this game. Esp when a whole gen of pros leaves at once, everybody is reduced to unorganized noobishness and need herding and before long it becomes unfn because there is no unstoppable force to try to compare to. The whole concept of the game was to get better to beat the ones who beat you. Without ones who beat you, though, the game becomes unfun. So you have to find a balance.
PLEASE don't stop on the guide, and let Sune know we still care, and play again. I'm about to get on in about an hour or so.
I don't want this to end Sad
I had hope too but it really isn't looking good I'm afraid.

BAN BOOSTERS - Page 2 Snap10

I've been having the idea of attempting to revive TT on Steam for a while now, even if it meant me having to purchase the game rights from Sune and handle it myself, but then there's this:

BAN BOOSTERS - Page 2 Snap210

He's right, the 9-year-old code now would probably be obsolete in today's standards, and to do any future updates for the game would probably call upon a complete re-working of the game, something which Oddlabs isn't interested in and something which I do not have the Java expertise to pull off. I'm fairly sure that even releasing it to Steam in its current state would generate a lot of interest from the community and possibly revive the game, but by the time people started wanting some updates (let's face it, the campaign is dismal and there needs to be some balance adjustments such as nerfing of towers) we'd be stuck.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 pm

Dapianokid wrote:
EPIC_FAIL wrote:
EXACTLY! I became a top-3 pro for a few months last year. I've never been super good until then. I think it had to do with the huge loss of people but then when a bunch of pros came back I was still fairly decent (pretty dominant, in some cases)... But I played players like leaf and mambo and discovered some techniques I didn't come to understand until wayy later. I was never really taught by anyone. I have picked up a lot, though. And battle strats and techniques are all part of the game and we all learn and get better. It's just amazing how good the oldest players were. Not from experience, but because they took the game apart and learned super good skill from every level and angle. Even using glitches to their advantages. They treated it like RTS games from way back when and understood how much was possible. They were geniuses.
(Excuse the double-post Laughing)

I was never officially taught either, just kind of picked up some tips and tricks here and there and then did a whole lot of trial-and-error inventing of strategies. I'm sure none of my old techniques would be up to today's play standards, but I remember back in the 'second gen' of pros a few IRL friends and I played the crap out of TT (lifestyle and all of his various accounts mainly) and attempted pioneering a few strategies. We tried exploring the possibilities of 5q and 6q (and even 7q one time), and now it's funny to see that that sort of play has become somewhat standard now... but we still never compared to the raw talent and strategic knowledge of the old pros.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:31 pm

I remember my 9q :')
You're still pretty boss, dude.
I think Steam would make this game become a huge hit again. The updates problem is right, but by the time people DID want updates, there may be people who invest in the game who are capable and qualified to rework the game.
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by glow Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:38 pm

who cares bout double posts, im an admin here so it doesnt matter Smile

i learned through many losses -.- slow and wolf wouldnt tell me how they jus made me play and lose to them. slow came up wit my name glow. it was wit him that i first made sprite which was going to b my profile until slow took it over when i couldnt play anymore for a month or 2. But sure enough i figured it out. if fire is making so much money (facebook) then y doesnt he help? as much as i really want him to brag bout owning tt it would b worth it. to keep it going. I havent had a serious game in a looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time. jus now i played 3 games wit Dap, honestly only one of them was a serious game but it was jus a 1v1, not a 3v3 or 2v2. The one i played seriously i won, the others i did 2 q and then 6 q (i didnt move at all, turned out to b a bad idea then i rallied him haha Smile ) There is really so much to this game. Honestly towers never shouldve been outlawed. They r part of the game, they effectively eliminate sneaking of the armories, once was known as ""yoink"
glow
glow
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm

glow wrote:who cares bout double posts, im an admin here so it doesnt matter Smile

i learned through many losses -.- slow and wolf wouldnt tell me how they jus made me play and lose to them.  slow came up wit my name glow. it was wit him that i first made sprite which was going to b my profile until slow took it over when i couldnt play anymore for a month or 2.  But sure enough i figured it out.  if fire is making so much money (facebook) then y doesnt he help?  as much as i really want him to brag bout owning tt it would b worth it.  to keep it going.  I havent had a serious game in a looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time.  jus now i played 3 games wit Dap, honestly only one of them was a serious game but it was jus a 1v1, not a 3v3 or 2v2.  The one i played seriously i won, the others i did 2 q and then 6 q (i didnt move at all, turned out to b a bad idea then i rallied him haha Smile) There is really so much to this game.  Honestly towers never shouldve been outlawed.  They r part of the game, they effectively eliminate sneaking of the armories, once was known as ""yoink"

I agree that towers can still be used, but they're just clearly too strong, the game is imbalanced because of it.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Unless you're a crafty player Wink
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by EPIC_FAIL Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:14 am

Dapianokid wrote:Unless you're a crafty player Wink
Eh, I still disagree. I think the ease of constructing towers vs the difficulty destroying them is far imbalanced, and can also draw games out to be much longer than they should.
EPIC_FAIL
EPIC_FAIL
Failure
Failure

Back to top Go down

Post by Dapianokid Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Then they either need to be harder to destroy, less in number, slower to build, or harder to build.
Dapianokid
Dapianokid
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by glow Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:30 pm

precisely, thats wat makes them so difficult. Then people would implement peons into their attacking forces. which actually isnt bad.  Warriors focus on other warriors before peons so having peons in armies is pretty good.  I think i will try to do that.  Add both towers and attacking wit peons into my repetoire, c how well it works.  Thats my new objective.

THat worked horribly... played sigh and lost. never had enough peons or warriors and such. it could possibly work but requires much more practice.
glow
glow
Chicken Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum